Where and when to be on safari?
The best game viewing experiences in Africa are listed by David Rogers in his top 5 wildlife destinations in Africa and gives visitors and idea of what they can expect in terms of the experience. Needless to say that each place has its own unique character, style of camp, guiding, different activities.
South Luangwa in Zambia
- Beautiful riverine landscapes and forests of mature trees
- Large herds of elephants and massive pods of hippos in the river
- One of the best destinations for leopards.
- The guiding and hosting is authentic and people are so friendly.
- Expect the original close to nature safari experience.
- Camps generally open between May and October
- Walking with wildlife and night drives are highlights.
- One of the least commercial national parks
Okavango Delta and Selinda in Botswana
- The Okavango Delta is an inland lake in the desert that is inundated with water from floodwater annually.
- Birding is exceptional and game includes lion, cheetah, leopard, wild dog and big herds of buffalo and elephant.
- Lowest tourism footprint anywhere in private concessions results in exclusive wildlife viewing experience
- The experience can include game drives, walking safaris, boating, mekoro and helicopter flips.
- Wide range of choices from simple tented camps to some of the most luxurious lodges in Africa.
Sabi Sand and Greater Kruger National Park
- Easy to see the Big Five in one day due to sharing of information and excellent management of sightings.
- The highest standard of guiding and tracking anywhere.
- Sightings are carefully controlled to just 3 vehicles at a time.
- Very good sightings of leopards and lions.
- Comfortable lodges to highest levels of luxury and dining.
- Combines easily with Cape Town and the Winelands with direct flights.
- Very good infrastructure and easily accessible.
Masai Mara and Serengeti Ecosystem
- These are the wide open spaces that were made famous in films such as Out of Africa.
- The grasslands have relatively few trees and this makes it easy to find animals.
- Abundant game that is easy to view
- All of the big five may be seen but no big herds of elephants.
- Allows you to experience the Masai culture.
- Excellent standard of guiding.
- All year round destination. April May a bit wet.
- Very temperate climate
- Migration and crossings is Kenya best from July to October
- Migration in Tanzania best from November to April
- Calving of wildebeest from December to March
Let us help you plan your next safari
The best game viewing destinations in Africa will call you back year after year as no wildlife experience is ever the same. Different seasons also produce very different experiences. Here is a useful calendar