Why photographers love Serra Cafema
This is a spectacular edge of the earth sort of camp with outstanding vistas for photography. Oryx, brown hyena occur here but the main emphasis is on the extraordinary landscapes and isolation. The camp neighbours a Himba Village which offers extraordinary opportunities and cultural interactions.
How we rate Serra Cafema
Serra Cafema at a glance
Serra Cafema is a desert oasis with tents shaded by albida trees and vast views of the Kunene River valley. The camp features:
- 8 walk-in safari tents, one of which is a two-bedroom unit for families, on raised platforms with en-suite facilities, indoor and outdoor shower and private decks
- In room 220V electrical plugs (wattage is limited)
- Solar hot water
- Communal pool, fire pit, dining areas, wine cellar, lounge, library, bar, curio shop and viewing decks
Serra Cafema sits on the southern bank of the Kunene River in northern Namibia at the foot of the Hartmann’s Valley. This area is known as the Kunene Region or the Kaokoveld, one of the harshest environments imaginable featuring stark plains, the famed Skeleton Coast, rugged peaks and ancient valleys. Although the desert may seem desolate, ephemeral rivers provide oases for a variety of desert adapted wildlife. Springbok, gemsbok and Hartmann’s mountain zebra eek out an existence and crocodiles wait for them in the Kunene River. Birds and reptiles are highlights in the area and so is the fairy circle phenomenon. Fog created when the icy Atlantic Ocean meets the warm coastal air not only provides for great photos, but also is the most reliable source of water for desert plants. Nambia’s Himba people raise livestock in the area and shift between main settlements and temporary cattle outposts. Activities include desert exploration in game drive vehicles, walks, quad bike excursions, and cultural interactions with the Himba.
- High season is June to October when temperatures are cooler.
- November to March is considered the rainy season, but rain isn’t much of a problem in the desert. It can be extremely hot during this period, but cloudy skies can be spectacular.
What Serra Cafema costs
Contact Photos and Africa for rates and special offers.