Why photographers love Xigera
- Unique experience of a “water” camp–explore by boat when the water level in the Okavango Delta is high
- Spectacular bird life with chance to see elusive Pel’s fishing owl
- Usually, game drives are possible all year too
- Access by boat to Mombo Channel and Chief’s Island
How we rate Xigera
|Lodge & Dining|
Xigera at a glance
• 10 raised luxury tents
• En-suite bathrooms and outdoor showers
• Communal lounge, bar, dining area and plunge pool
• Raised decks to connect it all
• A sandpit on the deck to capture paw prints of night-time visitors
Xigera Camp is located in the heart of the Okavango Delta inside the Moremi Game Reserve on the western boundary. It’s a permanently flooded area, making Xigera a true “water camp” where water activities like boating are a highlight year round and water-loving birds and animals are prevalent. Nearby, there are some areas of higher ground –islands covered in palms and hardwoods, riverine forests and seasonal floodplains. Land animals, even predators like lion, leopard and hyeana, can sometimes be found on the islands, where they will wade in search of prey. They are even known to use Xigera’s raised walkways to get between islands. The area is renowned as the best place to search for the elusive sitatunga antelope in the Delta, while red lechwe, otter, elephant, impala and tsessebe are frequently seen. Birding is prolific.
• The rainy season is October to May, but the floods don’t peak until later (June-July) when much of the exploring is done by boat
• In the dry season, some of the water dries up, and game drives are possible. Boat trips may be restricted to mokoros (dugout canoes) rather than motor boats.
Photographers need to know
The dynamic water-levels in the Okavango Delta dictate what activities are possible. Sometimes, the water level can be too low for motor boat trips, for example. Big game isn’t as common when water levels are high, but game viewing can still be surprisingly good.
The good news
The entire camp runs off solar power and has an environmentally friendly waste-water system.