[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”2_3″ last=”no” class=”” id=””]
[fusion_builder_column type=”1_3″ last=”yes” class=”” id=””]
Why photographers love Kalahari Plains
The Kalahari is a great place for bat-eared foxes, oryx and ground squirrels. Also large maned lions. The summer months are outstanding with excellent birding, moody skies and large numbers of migrant species. This is also an excellent lodge for cultural interactions.
How we rate Kalahari Plains
Kalahari Plains at a glance
- 8 en-suite canvas-walled cottages
- A sleep out area above each to enjoy starry skies
- Viewing decks for observing the expansive Kalahari landscape
- Communal lounge, dining area and swimming pool
- Solar power and hot water
The Central Kalahari Game Reserve in the heart of the Kalahari Desert is the setting for Wilderness Safari’s Kalahari Plains Camp. This is big sky country with expansive views, flat grasslands and undulating dunes. Besides daily game drives to places like Deception Valley and Sunday Pan to follow animals on their seasonal movements, the area offers cultural insights into the fascinating way of life of the San Bushmen. Wildlife is present year round, but with the summer rains, the desert really comes to life. The area teems with antelope including springbok and gemsbok. It’s also famous for its Kalahari black-maned lions and excellent cheetah viewing.
- The best time to go is after the start of the summer rains when the landscape is green, flowers bloom and pans fill with water.
- Game viewing is good year round because in the warm, dry winter months, animals congregate near pans.
Photographers need to know
Photographers need to know that the Kalahari does not have the concentrations of game found in other areas – you can drive and drive with little return. The beauty of the area is that you get to photograph desert species not found in other areas. And of course, the lions are fantastic.
The good news
Wilderness Safaris have invested in solar technology.